The London Fire Brigade was called out last night after a woman’s hairdryer set fire to her mattress.
Battersea and Chelsea fire fighters were called just after midnight to the woman’s home in Shepton Court, Westbridge Road.
The woman had been drying her hair and switched it off before placing it on her bed.
Battersea watch manager Simon Jenkins said incidents like this were unusual and they were more regularly called out to fires started by hair straighteners.
He said: “She was very lucky – it just smouldered. It was not a big fire for us but there’s an important safety message.
“She walked away and noticed a smell. She managed to unplug the dryer and called us. It was easily put out and there wasn’t a lot of damage.
"There was no working fire alarm in the flat and she could have fallen asleep on the sofa.”