A man rushed to the aid of his elderly grandmother this morning as they escaped a fire at their home.

Mitcham firefighters were called the blaze in Seely Road, Tooting, at 5.35am where the top floor of the property was severely damaged.

It is understood one of the occupants, a man in his 30s, was woken up by the fire and managed to get his 84-year-old grandmother out of bed and lead her outside to safety.

A fire investigation team is now trying to establish how the fire started and a watch manager from Mitcham fire station stressed the house did not have a smoke alarm.

Did you see the fire? Call 020 8722 6333, tweet @WimbledonNews or email: newsdesk@wimbledonguardian.co.uk.