Tara Arts Theatre calls on punters to sponsor upgrade

Wandsworth Guardian: An artist impression of the Tara Theatre after its renovation An artist impression of the Tara Theatre after its renovation

A theatre company is giving people the chance to leave their mark on it's building by sponsoring bricks, seats and renewable energy.

Tara Arts Theatre, in Garratt Lane, Earlsfield, was granted planning permission last year to renovate the building.

The theatre company, which celebrates 30 years being based in the building this year, is hoping to raise 30 per cent of profits towards it's transformation from generous theatre-goers.

For £300 luvvies can become a permanent part of the theatre by buying a seat.

The seat will be covered in a fabric and colour of the buyers choosing, while their name will be embroidered on the back of the seat.

There is also the chance to have your name engraved on a brick for £185, which will form part of the new Indian and English style patio garden.

The theatre is also asking people to sponsor renewable energy for £80, which will help fund rainwater harvesting technology, solar panels and ground-source heat pumps.

Anyone who steps forward will be thanked by having their names included in an Anglo-India design on the foyer walls.

Money left in donation pots in the theatre foyer will go towards Indian style furniture and fabrics for the building.

A message on the theatre's website said: "Our renovation plan has had enthusiastic support from Arts Council England, Wandsworth Council and several trusts.

"We have to date raised just over 70 per cent of the total cost of renovations. Your support will be invaluable in helping us achieve the remaining 30 per cent needed to begin construction in Autumn 2013."

Other renovation plans include an entire new frontage, a larger theatre with 100 seats and a four storey side extension.

The theatre was originally home to an acclaimed arts company which first brought Asian theatre to Britain in the 1970's.

It is aiming to reflect a fusion of East and West by 2014, providing a home for cross-cultural theatre in London.

Visit tara-arts.com/support-us for more information

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:20pm Sat 5 Jan 13

ianfreeman says...

Punters? Punters are people who take a gamble. I doubt that applies to patrons of Tara Arts. Sloppy subbing.
Punters? Punters are people who take a gamble. I doubt that applies to patrons of Tara Arts. Sloppy subbing. ianfreeman

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree