9:28am Thursday 31st January 2013
By Alexandra Rucki
A cat was killed in a fire which tore through a third-storey flat.
Firecrews were called to the blaze at Cranmer House, in Surrey Lane, Battersea, just after 5.30am this morning.
A 40-year-old woman escaped before firefighters from Battersea, Clapham and Chelsea arrived at the scene.
Firefighters rescued two cats from the fire, but unfortunately were unable to find the woman's third pet.
The London Ambulance Service treated her at the scene and she did not require hospital treatment.
Two flats above the building were evacuated while crews tackled the blaze, taking two hours to put it out.
A fire investigation team found it was caused by a tea light left on the arm of a chair.
About 25 per cent of the flat was left damaged, with the whole flat wrecked by smoke.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade warned tea light candles generate a large amount of heat.
He said: "Place your candles on a flat and stable surface.
"The small tea light candle placed on the arm of a chair and burnt straight though, and caused the fire. This could have been avoided by placing it on a saucer."
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group