Early morning shock for residents after clothing shop fire at Loot, Tooting

Firefighters were called to Loot in Mitcham Road, Tooting

Firefighters were called to Loot in Mitcham Road, Tooting

First published in News
Last updated
by

Twenty-four people had to vacate their flats this morning after a fire broke out at a clothes shop beneath them.

Firefighters from Tooting and Wimbledon were called to Loot, a clothing shop in Mitcham Road, at about 5am after a passenger at a nearby bus stop saw wisps of smoke coming from inside.

A crew member from Wimbledon fire station said it was “very lucky” the fire was caught quickly before it got worse, especially because the 24 residents living in flats above had no smoke alarms.

She said: “Tooting called us to assist and we used specialist apparatus to gain an opening through the metal shutters.

“In the end it must have looked more serious than it actually was, but it’s also fortunate the fire did not start earlier because there might not have been anyone on the street to report it as soon as they did.”

One of the evacuees was a heavily pregnant woman, who was taken to St George’s hospital as a precaution.

A fire investigation team is finding out how the fire started.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree