Mother hooked on solvents died after inhaling butane gas
A mother hooked on solvents died after inhaling two bottles of butane gas on New Years Eve, an inquest heard.
Candy-Marie Ward, of Whitlock Drive, Southfields, was only 29 when she died of a cardiac arrest from sniffing the deadly substance.
Westminster Coroner's Court heard on Tuesday how she began sniffing butane aged 14 years old, with addicts often only having a life expectancy of two years.
Miss Ward was at home with her partner and son Shane Ward on December 31 when she inhaled two bottles of butane.
An argument followed with her son before she collapsed and fell backwards.
Her partner began to perform CPR and called for an ambulance, which arrived
just before 7pm.
Paramedics put her on basic life support and took her to St George's Hospital, Tooting.
She was transferred to an advanced life support machine, but doctors made the decision to turn it off at 8.30pm when her heart stopped beating.
A post-mortem report found the cause of death was a cardiorespiratory arrest, brought on by the effects of inhaling a volatile substance.
Dr Susan Paterson, head of toxicology at Imperial College, said: "When you take these drugs they can have effects similar to alcohol.
"A small amount can make you feel excited and elated. If you take even more you can have a coma which can be fatal."
Coroner Fiona Wilcox recorded her death was the result of dependence on drugs.
She said: "She was only 29 years old at the time of her death. It would appear she was an artistic intelligent woman who could have done well if she had not been side tracked with dependence of drugs.
"When she was not using her drugs she was artistic, she would make bracelets, she was very lovable and caring.
"This is yet again another tragic example of the appalling effects of drugs on society."