Roof on fire at Wandsworth Prison after inmates throw burning paper
A roof in Wandsworth Prison was set on fire after prisoners threw burning paper on to it.
Four fire engines were called to the prison in Heathfield Road, Wandsworth, at 1.20am today.
The fire was caused by prisoners throwing burning paper out of the windows, which set a small roof alight.
It is believed there was a disturbance in the prison which provoked the incident.
No oner was injured, with fire crews leaving the scene at 4.30am.
It comes in the same week as HMP Wandsworth was declared the most overcrowded prison in the country according to a report by the Howard League for Penal Reform.
- Roehampton Uni celebrates success figures
- Man in his 20s treated for chest injuries at Mitcham crash scene
- £94,000 Aston Martin seized for no insurance
- Council uses compulsory purchase order to oust businesses
- Daniel Dutfield appears in court after death of pregnant 22-year-old girlfriend Jessica Fenner at baby shower
Comments are closed on this article.