A roof in Wandsworth Prison was set on fire after prisoners threw burning paper on to it.
Four fire engines were called to the prison in Heathfield Road, Wandsworth, at 1.20am today.
The fire was caused by prisoners throwing burning paper out of the windows, which set a small roof alight.
It is believed there was a disturbance in the prison which provoked the incident.
No oner was injured, with fire crews leaving the scene at 4.30am.
It comes in the same week as HMP Wandsworth was declared the most overcrowded prison in the country according to a report by the Howard League for Penal Reform.
- Mushroom tamperer gets conditional discharge after Richmond Park picking
- VIDEO: Train struggles through the flood water which ruined commutes across south London this weekend
- Love-struck Crystal Palace fan's Twitter plea to find mystery woman he met on train
- Two rescued in Battersea blaze this afternoon
- Ambulance drivers to walk out this week over pay dispute