A roof in Wandsworth Prison was set on fire after prisoners threw burning paper on to it.
Four fire engines were called to the prison in Heathfield Road, Wandsworth, at 1.20am today.
The fire was caused by prisoners throwing burning paper out of the windows, which set a small roof alight.
It is believed there was a disturbance in the prison which provoked the incident.
No oner was injured, with fire crews leaving the scene at 4.30am.
It comes in the same week as HMP Wandsworth was declared the most overcrowded prison in the country according to a report by the Howard League for Penal Reform.
- Mentally ill man detained indefinitely after strangling grandmother to death in her own home
- Selfies abound as Boris Johnson visits Wandsworth on the campaign trail
- US ambassador delivers seminar to Battersea sixth formers
- From bank scams to badly parked lorries, police tweet their day at #mpswandsworthlive
- Battersea Society inherits impressive cast iron crests