A roof in Wandsworth Prison was set on fire after prisoners threw burning paper on to it.
Four fire engines were called to the prison in Heathfield Road, Wandsworth, at 1.20am today.
The fire was caused by prisoners throwing burning paper out of the windows, which set a small roof alight.
It is believed there was a disturbance in the prison which provoked the incident.
No oner was injured, with fire crews leaving the scene at 4.30am.
It comes in the same week as HMP Wandsworth was declared the most overcrowded prison in the country according to a report by the Howard League for Penal Reform.
- Man hospitalised after 'vicious' assault in Tooting
- Rape victim told to "f*** off and cry in the street" by stranger she approached for help after attack near Southfields Station
- BREAKING: Bank Holiday Monday rail strike suspended
- Southern Railway and South West Trains "top" four for negative tweets from customers
- “It really is like the end of a stale relationship”: Tory Wandsworth councillor resigns from party after 17 years