A roof in Wandsworth Prison was set on fire after prisoners threw burning paper on to it.
Four fire engines were called to the prison in Heathfield Road, Wandsworth, at 1.20am today.
The fire was caused by prisoners throwing burning paper out of the windows, which set a small roof alight.
It is believed there was a disturbance in the prison which provoked the incident.
No oner was injured, with fire crews leaving the scene at 4.30am.
It comes in the same week as HMP Wandsworth was declared the most overcrowded prison in the country according to a report by the Howard League for Penal Reform.
- More than 35 per cent of Wandsworth year 6 kids are obese
- Permission granted for new high street at Battersea Power Station
- Investigation launched at mental health hospital after a whistle-blower's 27 allegations of abuse and neglect
- Paul’s Cancer Support Centre in Battersea gets £2,000 donation
- Firefighters come out in force for training exercise at Sutton Hospital