A roof in Wandsworth Prison was set on fire after prisoners threw burning paper on to it.
Four fire engines were called to the prison in Heathfield Road, Wandsworth, at 1.20am today.
The fire was caused by prisoners throwing burning paper out of the windows, which set a small roof alight.
It is believed there was a disturbance in the prison which provoked the incident.
No oner was injured, with fire crews leaving the scene at 4.30am.
It comes in the same week as HMP Wandsworth was declared the most overcrowded prison in the country according to a report by the Howard League for Penal Reform.
- 'Utterly devoted' boyfriend jailed for accidental killing of pregnant girlfriend
- Huge stars turn out for annual Battersea Dogs Home gala ball
- Ghosts, screaming spirits and hauntings: Which are the most spooky places?
- Do you know good Samaritan who helped save woman jumping off Battersea Bridge?
- Wandsworth's crazy property market: £260,000 alleyways and £500,000 garages