Roof on fire at Wandsworth Prison after inmates throw burning paper
A roof in Wandsworth Prison was set on fire after prisoners threw burning paper on to it.
Four fire engines were called to the prison in Heathfield Road, Wandsworth, at 1.20am today.
The fire was caused by prisoners throwing burning paper out of the windows, which set a small roof alight.
It is believed there was a disturbance in the prison which provoked the incident.
No oner was injured, with fire crews leaving the scene at 4.30am.
It comes in the same week as HMP Wandsworth was declared the most overcrowded prison in the country according to a report by the Howard League for Penal Reform.
- Father died in hospital following surgery after telling his wife 'I'm going home tomorrow'
- Fire breaks out at Tooting construction site
- Two jailed for Clapham knife point robbery
- Air pollution kills over 100 people in Wandsworth
- Council: Complaining community groups are 'NIMBYs'
Comments are closed on this article.