Travellers' pile of rubbish set on fire on Tooting Common
Two fire engines had to be called to Tooting Common yesterday after one of the piles of rubbish dumped by travellers last week was set alight.
On Friday, horrified dogwalkers and ramblers discovered several huge piles of rubbish which had been discarded by a 20-strong convoy of caravans.
The resident, who did not want to be named, said: "Walking through the common this afternoon we spotted that one of the dumped piles in Bedford Woods had been set alight.
"The fire brigade was called and the fire finally extinguished, thankfully without too much damage to the surrounding woodland.
"It is of concern, however, that there are so many piles of rubbish remaining which could also be set on fire causing greater damage to our local common."
- Outgoing housing chief awarded £50,000 'golden handshake'
- Woman dragged out of house by violent robbers
- Schoolgirl's artwork chosen for MP Sadiq Khan's Christmas card
- Sick children visited by AFC Wimbledon players at St George's Hospital
- Five fingered feline glad to be back after six month sabatical
Comments are closed on this article.