'At risk' Battersea Power Station added to The World Monument Watch list again
Battersea Power Station has been added to a list of worldwide historic sites thought to be endangered.
The World Monument Fund's (WMF) bi-annual watch list for 2014 published on Tuesday aims to draw international interest to sites believed to be at risk.
Battersea Power Station was first added to the list in 2004 and is still considered a building at risk 10 years on, with no repair works being carried out since 1983.
In 2007 the building was upgraded to Grade II* listed status for it's architectural and historical significance.
Last year the iconic landmark was sold to SP Setia and Sime Darby for development into flats, with apartments going on sale in January this year.
WMF have said they aim to keep a spotlight on the current redevelopment plans for the station, particularly focusing on the re-building of it's four chimneys.
A statement released by WMF said: "The rebuilding of Battersea’s iconic chimneys has been the focus of much media attention.
"With demolition and subsequent reconstruction plans scheduled to start on the chimneys in 2014, WMF’s renewed focus on the site supports the campaign to ensure that these icons are rebuilt and the famous South London skyline is reinstated as soon as possible."
Dr Jonathan Foyle, chief Executive of WMF Britain, said: "Every two years, the World Monuments Watch reminds us the world around us changes faster than ever before.
"Change is inevitable, but it needs to be carefully managed so that we carry the best of the past into the future, and minimise the destruction of our record as a species.
"So we invite everyone to join us in supporting the champions of special places that need a helping hand to stay useful and beautiful."
Deptford Dockyard, Grimsby Ice Factory and Sulgrave Manor in Northamptonshire were the other UK buildings selected for the list.
- UPDATE: Woman killed by train at Battersea Park Station
- Tooting Bec Lido pavilion plans unveiled
- Christmas raffle raises money for families with sick kids staying in Ronald McDonald House
- Four jailed for 72 years for Peter Hagan party murder
- More overnight buses planned for New Year's Eve
Comments are closed on this article.