Dedicated mum of four praised for helping others in Southfields
A mum-of-four who has battled health issues has won a Wandsworth Council award for academic success.
Elaine Sutherland, studied maths, literacy and a parenting programme through the council's adult learning scheme run at Albemarle Primary School, in Southfields.
She was named Overall Learner of the Year at the Wandsworth Lifelong Learning Awards, which celebrates the achievements of those taking adult education courses in the borough.
Ms Sutherland suffers from a spine condition, but despite that and looking after her four children also volunteers at the Parkside Community Centre, helping young children with their reading.
Her dedication to her studies in spite of her health issues and busy schedule impressed the judges enough to bag her the top award.
Wandsworth Council offers 650 courses for adults looking to re-train or learn something new, from art, sport, language and crafts to apprenticeships and academic studies.
- More overnight buses planned for New Year's Eve
- PICTURES: Santa swaps reindeer for donkeys at Battersea Park Children's Zoo
- Gym user and MP Justine Greening celebrate bus shelters
- Wandsworth Council plans hefty fines for litter bugs next year
- Festive event to celebrate new Balham community group
Comments are closed on this article.