Festive event to celebrate new Balham community group
A festive event celebrated the forming of a new community group.
Members of the Friends of Nightingale Square gathered in the grounds of Nightingale Hostel, in Nightingale Square, Balham, to sing carols and decorate a Christmas tree on December 11.
The group was created to form better relationships with the 92 homeless families who live in the hostel.
A campaign has launched for better facilities in the hostel, including a laundry room, wifi and a safer play area.
It is made up of parents from Holy Ghost Primary school, people living in the hostel, St Francis Xavier College, as well as members of St Luke's Church and Holy Ghost Church.
Vicars from St Luke's Church, Balham Community Church and Holy Ghost also attended the event, alongside Councillor Sarah McDermott.
Reverend Des Figuarado, chairman of Wandsworth Citizens, said: "We are delighted that Councillor Sarah McDermott has agreeing to work with us to improve conditions at the hostel and look forward to meeting with her in the new year."
- Murder investigation launched after man dies in Roehampton
- Broken down lorry causes traffic chaos near Vauxhall Gyratory
- Patient died after fleeing operating theatre and falling off hospital roof
- New tube strike dates announced for May
- Hundreds left without water on Easter Monday
Comments are closed on this article.