Man saved from burning building after breaking his ankle

Wandsworth Guardian: Man saved from burning building after breaking his ankle Man saved from burning building after breaking his ankle

A man has been saved from a burning building this morning after breaking his ankle.

Fire fighters and ambulance crews were called to Old Devonshire Road, Balham to a four-storey house, which has been converted into a number of self-contained flats, just after 5am this morning.

Fire fighters found the man with a broken ankle in the second floor stairwell and were able to evacuate him.

He was taken to St George’s Hospital with smoke inhalation as a priority.

Six other residents had already left the building before the emergency services arrived.

Fire crews were able to bring the blaze under control just after 8am but not before a four room flat on the second floor had sustained 50 per cent damage and the stairway between the first and second floor was completely destroyed.

 

Did you see the fire - call the newsdesk on 0208 722 6334 or email newsdesk@wandsworthguardian.co.uk

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree