Man saved from burning building after breaking his ankle
A man has been saved from a burning building this morning after breaking his ankle.
Fire fighters and ambulance crews were called to Old Devonshire Road, Balham to a four-storey house, which has been converted into a number of self-contained flats, just after 5am this morning.
Fire fighters found the man with a broken ankle in the second floor stairwell and were able to evacuate him.
He was taken to St George’s Hospital with smoke inhalation as a priority.
Six other residents had already left the building before the emergency services arrived.
Fire crews were able to bring the blaze under control just after 8am but not before a four room flat on the second floor had sustained 50 per cent damage and the stairway between the first and second floor was completely destroyed.
Did you see the fire - call the newsdesk on 0208 722 6334 or email email@example.com