Wandsworth Council blocks Battersea off-licence's 24-hour booze application
Wandsworth Councillors have rejected a bid by a Battersea off licence to sell alcohol 24 hours a day.
Last night members of the licensing committee turned down an application from the Battersea Food and Wine store, in Falcon Road, which would have allowed alcohol to be sold to customers all day and all night, seven days a week.
The committee ruled that allowing the shop to serve alcohol 24 hours a day could have a detrimental effect on the neighbourhood and could spark anti-social behaviour and noise nuisance.
Committee chairman Councillor Martin D Johnson said: "The council has very firmly established policies and guidelines when it comes to 24 hour licensing.
"We do not feel that it is usually appropriate in a mainly residential borough like Wandsworth.
"In this case we could see no reason to depart from those policies and permit the round the clock sale of alcohol at these premises.
"In our view it ran the real risk of causing significant disruption and damage to the lives of people living nearby."
Under the terms of its existing licence the shop is permitted to sell alcohol up to midnight on weekdays and 2am at weekends.
The 24-hour licence came into effect when the Licencing Act 2003 came into force in 2005.
It is also important to point out that the possession of a 24-hour licence does not necessarily mean that the premises will choose to open for 24 hours.
There are currently eight 24-hour licences in Wandsworth but all of the below are either supermarkets, drinks suppliers or mail order companies.
- Asda, 204 Lavender Hill, Clapham.
- Asda, 31 Roehampton Vale, Roehampton.
- Tesco Express 219-221 Balham High Road, Tooting Bec.
- Sainsburys, 45 Garratt Lane, Wandsworth (not currently open 24 hours).
- Solstice Limited, A49-A52 New Covent Garden Market, Nine Elms.
- Bottom Up Drinks Ltd, Unit B239 Riverside Business Centre, 55 Bendon Valley, Wandsworth (Delivery Only).
- Humble Group Ltd, 7 Altenburg Gardens, Battersea. (Mail Order Only).
- Crabtree Wine Consultants, 132a Swaby Road, Wandsworth (Mail Order Only).
- Child abuse interview suite opened in Putney
- Wandsworth parents set to learn primary school place results
- Father died in hospital following surgery after telling his wife 'I'm going home tomorrow'
- Fire breaks out at Tooting construction site
- Two jailed for Clapham knife point robbery
Comments are closed on this article.