People who want to learn more about cancer can visit a new pop-up shop in Southside shopping centre this week.
More than a third of premature deaths in Wandsworth are caused by cancer, with some people waiting up to 68 days between first noticing a symptom of cancer and seeing their doctor.
The Get To Know Cancer pop-up is the brainchild of NHS England and Wandsworth Council and it will be open every day from tomorrow (Friday, January 24) to Sunday, February 16.
It will be packed with information and staffed with trained nurses and other experts who will be able to refer you on to other services if necessary.
Houda Al-Sharifi, Wandsworth’s director of public health, said: "The fear surrounding cancer can lead people to ignore important symptoms, but we want to overcome the stigma and encourage people to seek help early.
"By opening this shop we hope to help our residents understand that cancer can be preventable, treatable and beatable.
"It’s quick and easy to pop in and have a chat and a check-up, and it could just save your life."
No appointment is necessary and our specialist cancer nurses will be on hand to discuss any issues.
The pop-up shop will be at Southside Shopping Centre (next to Primark), Wandsworth, from Monday-Friday 9am-7pm, Saturday 9am- 6pm, Sunday 11am-5pm For more information visit www.gettoknowcancer.org or follow @gettoknowcancer.
- Firefighters called to fourth Battersea fire in seven days
- Battersea firefighters clearing trees from canal in search for missing teenager Alice Gross
- Mental health services at risk of closure under plans
- Commuters hit by delays after double whammy of signalling problems
- Unexploded bomb unearthed in Clapham back garden by landscape gardener