Wandsworth Council launch consultation to protect The Wheatsheaf pub in Tooting
A much loved pub could soon be granted protection from demolition or being turned into a supermarket.
If granted, the special status would mean plans to change the use or demolish the venue would have to be considered by elected councillors.
It is the first time the council has investigated making such an order for a pub.
Current planning law means pubs can become supermarkets without having to submit an application to the local authority.
Last year thousands of people campaigned to save The Wheatsheaf following rumours it could become a supermarket.
The building was locally listed in September which also gives it some protection when it comes to the planning process.
MP Sadiq Khan has been calling on the council to move forward with the campaign to protect the pub.
To make a comment on the consultation visit wandsworth.gov.uk/info/200130/conservation_areas/527/article_4_directions.
- Woman fined £250 after her dog killed beloved Yorkshire Terrier
- 40-year-old man arrested after Clapham BBQ stabbing
- Woman sexually assaulted next to Battersea Park
- Serious case review launched after 4-year-old child sustains serious injuries
- Woman in serious condition after man stabbed her multiple times in Clapham
Comments are closed on this article.