Wandsworth Bridge Road closed after large water leak
A section of Wandsworth Bridge Road is closed after a large water leak created a hole in the road.
Emergency water works are being carried out by Thames Water after engineers carrying out a routine repair last night discovered a hole underneath the road surface.
Police have closed a section of Wandsworth Bridge Road between Sandilands Road and Bovingdon Road so that workers can start emergency investigations.
Gareth Parry, regional water network manager at Thames Water, said: “We’re really sorry for the disruption caused by this road closure but it is absolutely essential for the safety of drivers that Wandsworth Bridge Road is immediately closed to traffic.
“We need to fully investigate underneath the road and make sure it is safe. We know this is a key route and we’ll be working around the clock to keep disruption to a minimum.”
Northbound traffic has been diverted through Townmead Road, Imperial Road and Bagley's Lane.
Southbound traffic has been diverted through Putney Bridge, Putney Bridge Road, Armoury Way and Swandon Way.
Businesses are open as usual and pedestrians are still able to access the road.
Did you see the leak? Send your pics to email@example.com
- Daniel Dutfield appears in court after death of pregnant 22-year-old girlfriend Jessica Fenner at baby shower
- Dying woman remarries her husband after exposure to asbestos at Battersea Power Station
- Dog walker describes moment man punched woman on Tooting Common
- Council succumbs to pressure to protect Wheatsheaf pub
- Tooting teens head to Harvard and Yale this summer
Comments are closed on this article.