Firefighters from three stations extinguished a fire ignited from a discarded mattress within a large block of flats.
Officers from Battersea, Clapham and Wandsworth were called to Scholey House in Ingrave Street, Battersea at 10pm on Monday, May 10, after reports of a fire on the 7th floor of the block within the communal bin chute room.
Using the building’s dry riser system officers were able to extinguish the fire by 10.45pm, though not before extensive damage was caused to the bin room and lift lobby.
No one was injured, but firefighters urged people to not dump large flammable objects where they can be a target for arsonists.
- Illegal rave expected to attract 400 people to Tooting Common stopped by authorities
- Council rejects large and ‘garish’ advertising hoarding in Clapham Junction
- South London's first Jewish primary school granted planning permission
- Garratt Park School for special needed children rated outstanding by Ofsted
- Hundred mile challenge for hospice