Battersea woman's hairdryer sets fire to her bed

Warning: An overheated hairdryer can be a hazard

Warning: An overheated hairdryer can be a hazard

First published in
Last updated
Wandsworth Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter

The London Fire Brigade was called out last night after a woman’s hairdryer set fire to her mattress.

Battersea and Chelsea fire fighters were called just after midnight to the woman’s home in Shepton Court, Westbridge Road.

The woman had been drying her hair and switched it off before placing it on her bed.

Battersea watch manager Simon Jenkins said incidents like this were unusual and they were more regularly called out to fires started by hair straighteners.

He said: “She was very lucky – it just smouldered. It was not a big fire for us but there’s an important safety message.

“She walked away and noticed a smell. She managed to unplug the dryer and called us. It was easily put out and there wasn’t a lot of damage.

"There was no working fire alarm in the flat and she could have fallen asleep on the sofa.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree