Iraqi-born musician plays for persecuted Christians

Wandsworth Guardian: Iraqi-born musician plays for persecuted Christians Iraqi-born musician plays for persecuted Christians

Fancy listening to some piano and organ music while doing a good deed in the process? Then look no further than the joint piano-organ recital by young Iraqi Carl Bahoshy, writes Katie Avis-Riordan.

The talented musician will perform as part of a series of solo piano and organ recitals at churches across London in support of a UK-registered charity called ICIN (Iraqi Christians In Need).

ICIN, founded in 2007, raises much-needed funds for those who have either become displaced within Iraq or have fled to neighbouring Syria and Jordan. The organisation supports programmes that provide medical care, primary and adult education and financial help to widows and other disadvantaged Christians.

Carl Bahoshy, a London-born musician with Iraqi Christian parents, has given his time intermittently over the past five years to ICIN.

He began playing the piano at the age of five, developing a passion for classical music, and subsequently attaining an Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music diploma in piano performing. He hopes the concert will help raise awareness of the plight of Christians in the Middle East today persecuted for their faith.

He says: “Many Christians in Iraq and in neighbouring countries, including Syria and Jordan, live in the face of an ever-persisting lack of security, ongoing discrimination, insurgent activity, sectarian violence and anti-Christian rhetoric, which has forced an exodus of Christian families to the north, notably to the Kurdish region, in pursuit of a peaceful life.

“The thousands of families who have fled to neighbouring Syria and Jordan to seek refuge from the mindless violence are also subject to further discrimination and attacks. In Iraq, the number of Christians has fallen from a 2003 (pre-invasion) figure of 1.5m to less than 200,000 today.”

Bahoshy plans to treat his audience to works from Bach, Chopin and Debussy, with 90 per cent of the net proceeds of ticket sales and funds raised donated to ICIN. The remaining 10 per cent will donated to the St Mary’s Church church, Putney.

Piano and Organ Recital; St Mary’s Church, Putney High Street, Putney; June 13, 7.30pm; £15; icin.org.uk/events/piano.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree