Wimbledon and Southfields residents braced for thousands of championship tennis visitors

Andy Murray with his winning trophy last year - can he do it again?

Andy Murray with his winning trophy last year - can he do it again?

First published in News
Last updated
Wandsworth Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter

As the nation warms up for the world famous tennis championships, residents are bracing themselves for an onslaught of visitors.

Parking, loading and waiting restrictions will be in place from next week onwards as an estimated 38,500 people descend on the borough to munch on strawberries and sip Champagne.

Police have said they have had issues with pickpocketing and theft in and around the venue, but officers will work with the All England Club to ensure the event goes smoothly.

Earlier this year the tournament had been identified as one of several targets this summer by a magazine reportedly published by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

However police chief inspector of operations Mark Lawrence said they have had no more intelligence to suggest there is any security threat against the championships.

Chief insp Lawrence said: "We will be working with the club to provide a visibility and presence to deter.

"Our role is to prevent crime and disorder.

"We have had issues in the past with pickpockets and thefts in and around the venue.

"We will have resources in place to deter and prevent criminal offences taking place."

Merton Council said there will not be any road closures during the fortnight, but a long list of restrictions will be in place between Monday, June 23, and Sunday, July 6.

People are advised to use public transport to get to and from the championships.

Cannizaro Road, Church Road at the junction of St Mary’s Road and High Street, Wimbledon, and Somerset Road will have waiting restrictions between 8.30am to 11.30pm.

There is no stopping on Church Road in Wimbledon Village between 8.30am and 11.30pm.

The Revelstoke Road entrance car park at Wimbledon Park will be closed for the fortnight, with streets surrounding it including Revelstoke Road and Melrose Avenue reverting back to residents permit only restrictions for 12 hours from 8.30am.

Wimbledon Park at the Church Road entrance will be open from 6.30am for parking.

Merton Council’s cabinet member for environmental sustainability and regeneration, Councillor Andrew Judge said they have been managing the traffic flow around the Wimbledon tennis championships for decades making sure everything runs very smoothly.

Coun Judge said: "Most people appreciate that Merton is home to the world famous tennis championships and are understanding of the additional traffic and people it brings to the borough.

"We enforce parking and traffic regulations to make sure residents who live close by aren’t disrupted too much."

We want you to show us how you will be enjoying the tennis this year.

Whether you will be at the All England Club, in your own home or if you spot a celebrity, send your pictures to Rebecca.Middleton@london.newsquest.co.uk, tweet  @BeckySMiddleton or send us a Facebook message.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree