Firefighters extinguish blaze in window box

Wandsworth Guardian: Firefighters were called to the flat in Innes Gardens at 5am this morning Firefighters were called to the flat in Innes Gardens at 5am this morning

Firefighters were called to a flat early this morning after peat in a window box self-ignited.

Firemen extinguished the fire at the property in Innes Gardens, near Putney Heath, at 5am this morning.

Wandsworth fire station said the tenants had smelt the burning yesterday afternoon but were shocked to learn peat can self-ignite.

Peat moss is commonly added to soil in plant pots to help retain moisture, but few people are aware it can spontaneously combust in dry conditions.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree