This is the dramatic moment an ambulance crashed into the front of an insurance agents’ office in Southfields.

The ambulance, which was on its way to a serious incident, smashed through the front of Rose Insurance, in Merton Road, Southfields, at just after 5pm yesterday.

The ambulance ploughed through the frontage after colliding with another car.

Wandsworth Guardian:

Just minutes before the ambulance crashed into the office the owner, David Rose, and manager, Steve Terry, had been sat at their desks where the vehicle landed. Fortunately both escaped uninjured.

Merton Road was closed to traffic for four hours while the corner of the building was made safe.

A similar, but smaller, incident happened two years ago when a paramedic car hit the building.

"It probably would have decapitated me."

Mr Terry, 53, from Southfields, said: “We have double desks, Dave and myself, and his was nearer the window and I’m next to him.

Wandsworth Guardian:

Lucky: David Rose and Steve Terry stand in the crash area 

“I just wondered what the noise was. When I heard the crash I just thought it had hit a car but it just carried on going and stopping when it got to the end.

“The car ended up where his seat was. It probably would have decapitated me as it flew across the room.

“It could have been a whole lot worse. Luckily nobody was hurt.

"My daughter works down in Wimbledon Park and her mate went past on the bus and told her a car had gone through her dad’s office.

"She was quite worried and came down in her car. She was relieved to find I was OK.”

Paramedic did not need medic

A spokeswoman for the London Ambulance Service said: “We can confirm one of our cars was involved in a road traffic collision at around 5pm, with another car near Merton Road, SW18. This car was on its way to a serious incident nearby.

Wandsworth Guardian:

The office is now boarded up 

“We sent a single responder, two duty officers, an advanced paramedic and an ambulance crew to the scene.

“We treated one patient for minor injuries and took her to St George's Hospital – but not as a priority.

“The medic, although shaken up, did not need to go to hospital.”

Did you see what happened? Send your photos to 

Wandsworth Guardian:

Mr Rose and Mr Terry set up their new working area