Battersea teen saves family from fridge freezer fire

Wandsworth Guardian: Damage to the fridge freezer Damage to the fridge freezer

A teenage boy saved his family from a fridge freezer fire.

The London Fire Brigade (LFB) praised the youngster, from Battersea, who noticed a strange smell at about midnight on Thursday, last week.

He saw smoke pouring out of the family’s kitchen and realised the fridge freezer was on fire. The teen woke up his dad and the family-of-seven managed to escape the blaze.

Charlie Pugsley, from LFB’s fire investigation unit, said: “The teenager’s prompt actions probably saved his family’s lives.

"The blaze could easily have ended in tragedy, but his quick thinking ensured that all seven family members escaped with only minor injuries.

“The boy’s actions were exactly in line with our advice, which is never to try and tackle a fire yourself, just get everyone out and call 999.”

All seven family members were treated for minor smoke inhalation at the scene by the London Ambulance Service.

Now LFB are expected to recognise the youngster with a bravery award.

In the capital, over the last five years, there were 278 accidental house fires caused by fridge freezers, 62 people injured and seven people killed.

Fire chiefs are urging people to check their electrical appliances, get smoke alarms, plan an escape route and to call the fire brigade rather than attempting to tackle the fire yourself.

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree