Wandsworth fire fighter's warning after lamp scorches wall

Fire fighter's warning after lamp scorches wall

Fire fighter's warning after lamp scorches wall

First published in News
Last updated
Wandsworth Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter covering Wandsworth

A Wandsworth fire fighter has warned about lamps being kept close to walls after a family’s loft conversion was scorched.

The London Fire Brigade were called out to a house in Rosehill Road, Wandsworth, just before 3am this morning.

The family had been woken up by smoke alarms and could smell burning.

They discovered a halogen lamp, shining on the wall, had charred the plaster. The wall was also emitting a little bit of smoke.

Watch manager Terry Lenderyou said: “People need to be aware of how much heat comes out of these bulbs.

“If you left one on and went to work it could start a fire. Everybody was fine – there were smoke alarms all through the house. They turned off the light and had moved it by the time we got there.”

The fire fighters had to take away the plaster to make sure the heat had not ignited any dust behind it.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree