Merton Council has formally renewed its support of the decision to allow AFC Wimbledon to build a stadium on Plough Lane.

The planning committee met on Thursday, September 15, for the first time since the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, announced his plan to ‘hand back’ the power to make a decision about the stadium to Merton Council last month.

August 22: 'All systems go': Sadiq Khan hands back Plough Lane AFC Wimbledon stadium decision to Merton Council

The committee unanimously approved the plans to build a 20,000 seater stadium – beginning as 11,000 – as well as a range of flats and amenities in December 2015.

Wandsworth Guardian:

An artists' impression of the new stadium. Photo: Sheppard Robson Architects

However, the former Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, decided to ‘call in’ the plans in March this year, citing “significant issues of controversy”. His report raised concerns with insufficient cycle parking, more information needed on the impact on traffic and transport during match days and the lack of affordable housing.

March 23: AFC Wimbledon: Mayor of London Boris Johnson "calls in" Plough Lane stadium application for further consultations

Just 60 of the proposed 602 flats have been earmarked as affordable housing – a total of 9.6 per cent, rather than Merton’s Council’s target of 40 per cent.

But when Mr Khan took over from his predecessor he asked to reverse this decision and, after a public consultation, he announced on August 22 that the decision would once again be given to Merton Council.

Leader of Merton Council, Councillor Stephen Alambritis, said: “We continue to support the return of AFC Wimbledon to home turf.

“This is the only planning application we have received for the Plough Lane site and it will be great to see this part of the borough rejuvenated and benefitting from the proposed development, including new homes as well as business opportunities.

“We are continuing to progress work on the plans to ensure the project is a London success story that provides jobs, homes and entertainment to benefit thousands of people every year.”

The council’s planning officers will now work to complete legal agreements in order to release the formal decision notice.

Wandsworth Council has called on the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Sajid Javid MP, to intervene in a last ditch attempt to halt the proposals.

August 31: Wandsworth Council demand secretary of state intervenes over Plough Lane after Sadiq Khan hands decision back to Merton

However, a spokesman for Merton Council confirmed that the council would continue to progress the stadium bid until they are told otherwise.

What do you think? Email letters@wimbledonguardian.co.uk