Parents and teenagers angry at adventure playground proposals
Parents and teenagers have spoke of their anger at council proposals to sack play staff and change the borough's adventure playgrounds.
Earlier this year, Wandsworth Council said it could make a saving of about £147,000 a year if it got rid of play staff and replaced play equipment.
A consultation in Battersea Park allowed kids to pick which equipment they would like to use.
But teenagers who use the park have said the designs of the new-build parks are only suitable for younger children.
Carmen Van-de-l'Isle, 14, of Battersea, said: "It is shocking because we never thought they would do it.
"I've been going since I was seven-years-old. We have lost something we can call ours if they take it away - losing it all over the borough.
"I do got there often, I meet up with people there."
Mum Yolande Van-de-l'Isle, 39, of Battersea, said she hopes the council will acknowledge her daughter's comments.
She said: "The council talk about how they listen to their residents, especially young people.
"It's going to have a major effect, the changing of equipment is very significant, it will just be a traditional playground.
"There is no trouble at the playground, they prevent all sorts of things."
Ed Ainsworth, 42, an entrepreneur of Anhalt Road, Battersea, is father to Torran Ainsworth, five, and Fia Ainsworth, four.
He said: "My five-year-old has just started using it and he thinks it is absolutely brilliant.
"It is something that they are just beginning to use. It is completely different from any other playground.
"They would not have anywhere to go and meet people, and do something constructive."
A spokesperson for Wandsworth Council said: "The council is investing £200,000 on the latest style of modern play equipment at the adventure playground so that children and young people can continue to enjoy challenging and exciting play facilities.
"Our policy is to keep the playground open and invest in it so that young people can continue to enjoy it at a time when many other local authorities are simply closing theirs. These changes will save local taxpayers around £130,000 each and every year in running costs. "At a time when the council is having to cut its spending by £70m as a result of the nation's economic difficulties, the council can regrettably no longer afford to pay the £225,000 a year it costs to run the playground in its current setup."
Councillors will make the final decision at an Education and Children's Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting this Wednesday.
A demonstration is taking place ahead of the meeting at 6.30pm outside Wandsworth Town Hall, while a petition containing 2,000 signatures against the decision has been handed to the council.