Wandsworth Councillors give green-light for Battersea adventure playground plans
12:30pm Monday 16th July 2012 in News
Councillors gave the green-light for plans to radically alter Battersea adventure playground last week.
Campaigners held a protest outside the town hall before the final decision was made during a full Wandsworth Council meeting.
Councillors voted to axe staff at the popular playground in Battersea Park and replace the equipment with safer designs.
The supervision of all the borough's adventure playgrounds will be put out to tender with two charities, Kids Company and London Play, expressing an interest.
It is believed staff have already been handed redundancy notices as part of the plan, designed to save the council about £130,000 a year.
The council will spend £200,000 to fund the replacement of the equipment, which was chosen following a consultation with youngsters who use the parks.
John Arthey, 36, of Wandsworth Common, who has a 10-year-old autistic son, campaigned outside the town hall before the meeting.
He said: "It allows him to mix with other children and kids can meet with him.
"It is great for children and adults, it is great for fathers who do have kids at the weekends. Where else is there to go?"
Wandsworth Council Leader, Ravi Govindia, said: "The capital investment in play equipment now agreed demonstrated this council's commitment to offering children and young people adventurous play facilities in the borough."
The fates of Kimber Road adventure playground and York Gardens will be decided at a later meeting.