Tooting High Street engulfed in smoke following fire in restaurant Sarashwathy Bavans
A high street was engulfed in smoke after fire broke out at an Indian restaurant this afternoon.
Firecrews were called to the blaze in Sarashwathy Bavans, in Tooting High Street, at about 3pm.
It took about an hour for the fire to be put out, with 20 firefighters at the scene.
Police taped off the restaurant, while hordes of people gathered outside neighbouring shops.
It is believed the fire started in the kitchen after the extractor system caught fire.
Head waiter Haju Ali said: "I came out of the restaurant and there was a fire. There was water falling down.
"I'm still scared, there were two customers in there, they got out quickly."
Ahmed Cusmam, 44, a taxi driver who works opposite the restaurant said: "There was too much smoke coming out this side.
"It was very bad and very dark, lasted for five to 10 minutes."