Demonstrators plan wall of memories as Wandsworth Council prepares to lay-off play staff
Demonstators will create a wall of memories this weekend as the council prepares to lay-off staff at all three of Wandsworth's adventure playgrounds.
The playgrounds will close this weekend for refurbishment and will not re-open again until the Spring, when they will have new equipment designed to remove the need for safety staff.
Wandsworth Council said it will save taxpayers £386,000 a year, while the playgrounds will be able to stay open for longer.
But angry parents and campaigners are joining forces in a final rally against the plans at two of the playgrounds this weekend.
Demonstrators plan to create a wall of memories in both playgrounds to show their appreciation for the play leaders.
They are also calling on people to email their ward councillors in a last ditch bid to halt the building plans, with a petition against the proposals gaining 4,000 signatures.
Earlier this week 10-year-old playground user Jasmine Byk shared her letter to Boris Johnson with the Wandsworth Guardian pleading for the move to not go ahead.
It said: "Please put it into your mind that not everyone can afford a Boris bike key, but everyone can afford fun and a playground."
Councillor Kathy Tracey, children's services spokesman, said: "The council has an excellent track record of providing top quality play facilities for young people in Wandsworth and is committed to this continuing in the future.
"We are investing heavily in improvements to our adventure playgrounds which are open to all young people to enjoy.
"At the same time, we are improving our support for disadvantaged children and young people who need extra help."
Events are taking place at 2pm on Saturday at Battersea Park Adventure Playground and 2pm on Sunday at York Gardens Adventure Playground.