Brentford will be in the draw for the 4th round of the FA Cup – but will be kicking themselves after letting a two goal lead slip to draw 2-2 with Southend United at Roots Hall on Saturday.

During an evenly contested cup tie, Brentford scored twice towards the end of the first half, but immediately conceded one to go into the break a goal ahead. After the home side drew level early in the second period with a controversial goal and afterwards neither side could find the elusive winner.

Early chances saw former Bee Mark Phillips head a dangerous cross behind for a corner, while at the other end 26 volleyed a half clearance over the bar from 25 yards.

Gavin Tomlin threatened when he cut in from the right and fired just over the bar. Tomlin then wasted a great chance when he broke free down the left, but as Tony Craig came across to cover and Simon Moore raced out of his goal, the striker sent a low shot across the goal and wide of the right hand post.

The Bees took the lead on half an hour when a well worked goal started from a thrown in on the left and ended with Paul Hayes setting up Tom Adeyemi, who slipped a composed finish past Paul Smith.

The Shrimpers came back and from a Kevan Hurst free kick on the right, Barry Corr headed into the hands of Moore.

Brentford extended their lead when Sam Saunders crossed from the right and, under pressure from Clayton Donaldson, Ryan Cresswell glanced a header into his own net.

Southend replied immediately when they broke down the right and Corr headed past Moore at the back post.

Southend drew level nearly ten minutes into the half when Hurst fired in a free kick from wide on the right and Corr headed unchallenged past Moore from a position Bees' boss Uwe Rosler said afterwards was at least a yard offside.

Tomlin should have given his side the lead when he pounced on an error by Tony Craig and raced through on goal, only for Moore and his covering defenders to do enough to put him off as he fired wide of the post.

After Jake Bidwell floated in a dangerous free kick from the left Jonathan Douglas headed wide when free at the back post. A minute later Donaldson broke down the right but his shot was saved by Smith.

Moore kept his side in the tie with an outstanding save when he pushed a Tomlin header over the bar with seven minutes remaining.

Brentford: Moore, Hodson, Dean, Craig, Bidwell; Forshaw, Douglas, Adeyemi (sub Reeves 79), Saunders (sub Forrester 68); Hayes (sub Trotta 71), Donaldson

Subs (not used): Gounet, Barron, Logan, Diagouraga

Attendance: 5540 (1323 Bees)

Man of the Match: Jonathan Douglas

Goals: Adeyemi 29, Cresswell (og) 38