Trojans prove too strong for the slow starters from Epsom

Wandsworth Guardian: On the scoresheet: James Harris opened Epsom's account at Trojans, but they were already 2-0 down at that point              SP72185 On the scoresheet: James Harris opened Epsom's account at Trojans, but they were already 2-0 down at that point SP72185

Epsom ran the leaders of the Hants/Surrey Regional Division One close on Saturday, but the Trojans proved too strong in a 4-3 win.

A strong second half showing in Southampton will have encouraged skipper James Midmer, but by then a slow start had already cost them the point.

He said: "We were 2-0 down at the break and frankly that flattered us. We'd shown very little of our own passing game in attacking areas and could have been further behind.

"Trojans were the better side on the day and we have to step up our own game again after some mixed recent results."

Trojans caught Epsom after just five minutes from a quick attack down the right for 1-0, and subsequently dominated the rest of the first half, sweeping the ball around with pace and accuracy and orchestrating constant pressure.

The home side created a steady stream of chances but returning Epsom legend Colin Savage was on top form to deny them.

Savage was finally beaten again close to half time, after another fast moving Trojans counter-attack saw a forward drill home a backhand shot to make it 2-0.

Epsom improved after the break, and they halved the deficit when James Harris fired home a short corner.

This strike seemed to rattle Trojans, and their previously spectating ‘keeper was soon forced to join the action again, saving well from Paul Atkinson.

Epsom were beginning to enjoy themselves a bit more in attack but they still found it hard to break down the host’s hard-working defence.

Trojans had by now lost much of their previous flow in possession but they still counter-attacked well and when they made it 3-1 midway through the half it looked game over.

Mike Atkinson hauled Epsom back into it, first winning and then firing home a short corner for

Epsom pushed hard for an equaliser in the final 10 minutes, all the time leaving more and more gaps at the back for a clinical Trojans counter-attacking unit.

Some further heroics from Savage kept Trojans at bay but the hosts eventually made it 4-2 with three minutes to go.

Epsom won a penalty corner right on the final whistle which Paul Atkinson clinically converted, but all it did was put a slightly flattering gloss on the scoreline.

Epsom host Bournemouth this weekend.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree