New boy out to realise Brentford's top flight target

Safe hands: Bees keeper David Button has signed a new three-year deal

Safe hands: Bees keeper David Button has signed a new three-year deal

First published in Brentford Wandsworth Guardian: Photograph of the Author by

Brentford new boy Andre Gray scored the goals that landed a return to the Football League for Luton Town last season and he hopes he can one day fire the Bees to the top flight.

The 23-year-old striker signed a three-year deal last Friday to switch to Griffin Park from the Hatters after netting 30-goals in the Skrill Premier last term.

Gray signed on the same day Moses Odubajo completed his switch from Leyton Orient – for what is believed to be a seven-figures sum.

Boss Mark Warburton, who saw young striker Luke Norris turn down a new contract to join League One Gillingham on Thursday, has ambitions of leading the Bees into the Premier League once they are an established Championship force.

And Gray admitted the prospect of being part of that project sealed his move to west London.

“It is a very ambitious club and it was quite an easy decision to make,” he said.

“Seeing ambition off the pitch is massive because as a footballer you want to be part of a project.

“It was the same at Luton because that was a big project after the troubles they had.

“I enjoy going somewhere where there is a project rather than just being somewhere for the sake of it.

“Brentford want to go to the top and I want to do that with them.”

Gray has not been tested in the Football League – let alone the Championship – and he knows there will be plenty of hard work to be done if he is to make the step up.

“I have grown over the years and I feel I have got better every year, but this is a massive step for me,” he added.

“If there was any time to do it then it was now and I am ready to put the work in, graft and get in the team and help the team.”

Goalkeeper David Button, right, penned a new three-year contract last week and, after keeping 19 cleansheets in 42 league games last term, cannot wait to get started against his former club.

“We defended very well at times last year, but I am sure that we will be tested even more this season,” said the 25-year-old.

“The Championship will be the next step up from League One, but at the same time I don’t think we have anything to fear.

“I was delighted when I saw that we had Charlton first up.

“If we can get off to a win then I will be even happier.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree