New Robins boss to step down after "vile, obscene and personal" attack
Carshalton Athletic's new manager Ian Hazel will step down in three weeks time after revealing he was subjected to "vile, obscene and personal abuse" during the 5-0 defeat at Lowestoft on Saturday.
Hazel - who took over the top job when Tommy Williams was sacked earlier this month - has presided over just two games.
But following what he called "disgraceful" scenes last weekend he informed Robins owner Paul Dipre last night (Monday) of his decision to step down after the trip to Margate on November 2 - or sooner if a new manager is found.
The Robins are third from bottom of the Ryman Premier League, with just two wins from 14 games.
A miserable start to the season also saw them crash out of the FA Cup at lower league opposition, and they face a vital FA Trophy trip to Burnham Raiders of the Ryman Division One North this weekend.
However, after seven years at Colston Avenue, including four stints as caremaker manager, Hazel said he has no choice but to walk away.
In a statement on the club's website, he said: "Having been a player, coach, manager and supporter of Carshalton Athletic, I have no choice after being asked to manage the first team to step down after Saturday's disgraceful scenes.
"I will not stand there and listen to the abuse that was aimed at myself on Saturday.
"There was no need for it and it was vile, obscene and personal, and was not very nice - not only for myself but the staff and group of young players we have at the club."
He added: "I do not believe anyone should be subjected to this and I certainly will not just sit there and take it.
"I will however stand in temporary charge for three weeks, to enable the club to find the right person to take the club forward.
"It is a big shame to have made this decision as i feel as an ex-professional footballer, ex-manager of six non-League clubs, ex-Premier League academy coach and UEFA 'A' licence coach, I am sure my experience and knowledge would have only benefited the club long term."
Dipre said: "The club has no choice but to accept his position and I have apologised to Ian on behalf of the club.
"The events of Saturday were unacceptable on every level. There was absolutely no reason for Ian to be the target of anything.
"He was committed to making a success of the first team and just wanted to get on with the job."
He added: "The club wish to stress that the allegations of abuse apply to two individuals, who have been named by on-looking Carshalton fans as those responsible for the alleged abuse. The club will be investigating the incident.
"Ian is, and will remain to be, an integral part of the club. I do hope for the next three games the fans can show Ian the overwhelming support he deserves and enjoys from every part of the club."
Comments are closed on this article.