A murder investigation has been launched after a fight at a home in Tooting yesterday evening.

Cordon: Police were still at the scene today

Three men were found with injuries by police at about 4.50pm yesterday, Monday, June 1, after being called to reports of a fight in Welham Road.

One man, aged 75, had injuries consistent with being hit by a vehicle and two other men, both in their 30s, sustained minor stab injuries.

Bhamra Tarelochan, who lives metres from the house cordoned off, said: "I came out and an ambulance was taking the person away. I didn't think that was so serious at first.

"I saw police cars and an ambulance. It was the time school children so I thought I was school children making the noise.

"It was pretty shocking."

He did not know the name of the man who died but said he would always say hello to Mr Tarelochan's wife if she passed.

Mr Tarelochan thought he had lived there for about 20 years, with a family at some point.

Duwsoye Anil, who lives opposite where a cordon is now in place, said he did not see anything as he was at the gym.

He said: "I came back and saw the road was closed off. I didn't see anything.

"I wanted to know what was going on."

A resident of Gorse Rise, who asked not to be named, said many of the houses in the street had been broken into in recent years.

She said: "I came home around 7.30pm and there were lots of police."

She saw a person taking finger prints and was told later on someone had died.

A resident of Salterford Road saw a neighbour running down the road.

She said: "Police cars and an ambulance went down there [Salterford Road] and then went back up again.

"I could see people running up and down and people standing looking down to the bottom of the road."

A woman visiting her daughter in a nearby house, who did not wish to be named, said: "I saw a few ambulances. There was lots of police cars and a couple of vans.

"So I knew there was something serious going on."

Returning to the house at about 10pm, she said she saw forensics officers in suits working in the road.

Parts of Welham Road, Salterford Road and Gorse Rise were still closed off by cordons this morning.

Forensics: Officers were unsure how long they would be at the scene

Sergeant Mitch Carr advised access to Graveny School was still possible but via alternative routes.

He said he was not sure how long the areas would be closed off for.

London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance were called and all three men were taken to a south London hospital.

The elderly man died shortly after midnight on Tuesday, June 2, and both men in their 30s have since been discharged from hospital.

The 75-year-olds next of kin have been information and a postmortem examination will take place in due course.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said a vehicle was stopped in Louisville Road and two men, aged 33 and 30, were initially arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm.

Both the arrested men are currently in custody at a west London police station. One was taken to a south London hospital with minor injuries but has since been discharged and taken into police custody.

The Met believe there is a third person is outstanding and enquiries continue to trace them.

The investigation into what was initially believed to be a burglary was led by Wandsworth CID, but has since been passed to the Homicide and Major Crime Command.

Anyone with information about the incidents in Welham Road or Louisville Road should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.