A physiotherapist who was battling chronic depression told his friend "I'm dying on my own, help me" the day before he jumped in front of a train at Grove Park station, an inquest heard.

Wandsworth Times:

Cherif Merabet, from Putney, was staying with his friend Hadj Chellal in Grove Park when he left to get some fresh air early in the morning on July 13 last year.

The 56-year-old walked to the station, before climbing over a gate and running in front of the 7.55am Bromley North to Grove Park train which was travelling at no more than 20mph.

An inquest at Inner South London Coroners' Court heard Algerian-born Mr Merabet moved to the UK in May 1990 on a six-month visa under his birth name, Patrick Francois-Andre Veuillot.

After changing his name, Mr Merabet stayed in the UK for the next 25 years.

In a statement read to the court by assistant coroner Lorna Tagliavini, Mr Chellal said in the years he had known Mr Merabet he was always fit and well, but his mental health suffered after he had a heart attack in February, 2015.

Mr Chellal said: "He suffered a minor heart attack, after this time he seemed to suffer from depression and mental health problems.

"He became paranoid, hearing voices in his head.

"In June 2015 he suffered a panic attack and called 999."

Mr Merabet, who lived alone at his home in Innes Gardens, was supported by friends, but the rest of his family were still living in Algeria, the inquest heard.

Wandsworth Times:

In the early hours of July 12, Mr Chellal said he received a text from Mr Merabet which said: "I'm dying on my own, help me."

Mr Chellal and his brother rushed over to Putney to pick him up and bring him back to stay with them in Grove Park.

The following day Mr Merabet was kept company by Mr Chellal’s brother while he was at work, before they all went to a local mosque for evening prayers and headed to a coffee shop.

In his statement Mr Chellal said it had been a "lovely, positive evening".

However the following morning, Mr Merabet woke him up insisting he wanted to go for a walk to get some fresh air.

"He took nothing with him, no phone, no money, no keys. That was the last time I saw him alive," Mr Chellal said.

Two days later he reported Mr Merabet missing to Lewisham police station.

British Transport Police officers went to his house to deliver the news that Mr Merabet had died.

Mr Chellal said: "I was devastated, we all were.

"He never spoke of harming himself and we never suspected that he would."

According to his GP Mr Meribet has suffered from chronic depression since 1994, as well as alcohol dependency syndrome and cannabis abuse.

After attending Kingston A and E following a panic attack, Mr Merabet told the psychiatric liaison team that his anxiety was "unbearable" and he was unable to sleep.

Concluding a verdict of suicide, Ms Tagliavini said: "My personal condolences to Mr Merabet’s family and friends for their very sad loss."