A restaurant with a Trip Adviser rating of 4.5 has been forced to close after “an accumulation” of raw sewage was found in the food room cupboard.

Ristorante Ichnusa in Lavender Hill was found to have a fly infestation “emanating” from the sewage with the insects flying around contaminating food and food surfaces.

Mouse droppings were found on food preparation counters.

Unsurprisingly, there was “ineffective” pest proofing in place.

Omar Tonzanu, general manager of the Italian Gastropub, was slapped with a hygiene prohibition order on February 20 at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court, forcing him to shut the premises.

A spokesperson for Wandsworth Council said: “Following complaints from members of the public our food safety team visited this restaurant and uncovered evidence of very serious and unacceptable health and hygiene breaches and as a consequence we have secured an emergency court order requiring the premises to remain shut until these problems are put right.

“Owners and managers of food businesses in Wandsworth should be under no illusion about their responsibilities and the importance of offering their customers the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene if they are to avoid facing tough sanctions.”