A newly opened shisha bar in Tooting High Street has been forced to close after families living nearby were being poisoned by carbon monoxide.

Fumes from burning charcoal from hookah pipes used at Hook'd were found to be leaking into homes above.

Two young families with small children were breathing in the gas and suffering the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, vomiting and flu-like symptoms.

When council environmental health officers visited the flats they found dangerous levels of carbon monoxide present.

The families have since made full recoveries and have suffered no long-term effects.

Wandsworth’s consumer protection spokesman Cllr Jonathan Cook said: “This was a very serious episode that could have had tragic consequences. It exposes the very real dangers of burning charcoal indoors when the fumes this gives off cannot easily escape or dissipate.

“As well as the families living upstairs those using the hookah pipes were also facing grave dangers of being poisoned so people who smoke shisha indoors really do need to be aware of this issue so they can avoid it.

“The business is currently closed and there is no possibility it will be permitted to open again and operate as it did before.”

The owner of Hook’d has agreed to cease using charcoal in his premises and is exploring safer vaping products instead.