An electric fan heater is what caused a fire at a first-floor maisonette in Balham High Road on Good Friday, according to the London Fire Brigade.

A man was hospitalised and a further four people were led to safety from a third-floor flat after firefighters rushed to the blaze at the first floor property on March 30.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters, with crews from Clapham, Tooting, and Wimbledon stations, attended the incident shortly before 11.30am.

An LFB spokesman said: “It’s tempting to pull heaters close to you when the temperature drops but blankets and duvets or other material getting too close to heaters is a dangerous fire risk.

“Shockingly, over two thirds of fatal fires involving heaters are caused by clothing or furniture being too close.

“People need to make sure their portable heaters are standing upright and kept well away from clothes, curtains or furniture.”

The man taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service was given a breathing apparatus, however his current condition is unknown.

LFB says the fire was under control by 1.10pm.