A ‘prolific’ Battersea thief has been jailed for two years after stealing a moped and threatening a police constable.

Nathan Bick, 19, of Ascalon Street was sentenced to two years in jail on Monday, June 4 at Blackfriars Crown Court.

He was convicted of theft of a motor vehicle, attempted Grievous Bodily Harm with a weapon and driving whilst disqualified.

The court heard that on Wednesday, March, 28 at around 5:30pm, Bick and a pillion passenger were seen riding a white Honda bike along Eversholt Street, Camden.

The bike had been reported stolen the previous day on Tuesday, March 27 at around 6:30pm while parked on Simpson Street, Battersea.

An officer on a marked police bike and an officer on an unmarked bike pursued Bick and his passenger, who made off through Camden.

Bick mounted the pavement, drove through bollards and over a kerb where he lost control and both men came off the bike.

The officer on the unmarked bike pulled up next to Bick who pulled out a claw hammer and swung it at the officer, aiming for his head. The officer pulled out his baton and Bick began to retreat.

Both men ran off in separate directions, with Bick climbing a metal fence into an estate where he was arrested and detained for theft of a motor vehicle, attempted GBH and possession of an offensive weapon.

The second suspect escaped from the scene and officers continue to search for him.

Bick was charged on Monday, March 29 and appeared at Highbury Crown Court where he was remanded into custody.

The thief had previously been sentenced to 16 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 weeks in May 2017, after breaching his Criminal Behaviour Order and stealing a motorbike. He was also ordered to pay costs of £200 to the CPS and to pay a surcharge of £115 to victim services.

Police Sergeant Tony McGovern, from the Met's Roads and Transport Policing Command, said: "Officers are dedicated to stopping moped thieves and bringing them to justice, which is exactly why happened in this investigation.

“They continued to pursue the suspect even when he threatened to attack them with a hammer."