A driver who knocked down and killed a woman whilst speeding over a pelican crossing in Clapham has been jailed for three years.

Tshan Henry, 28, of no fixed address, was sentenced yesterday at Inner London Crown Court for causing the death of 22-year-old Yolanda Moore by dangerous driving.

Miss Moore, from Poole in Dorset, had been out with her friends and boyfriend when she was struck down by Henry’s Mercedes when crossing against a red man outside the Swan pub.

She sustained serious head injuries and, despite the efforts of police and paramedics, died at the scene. Henry sped away.

Investigating officer Detective Sergeant Stephen Cannings, from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit at Catford, said: "The court heard evidence that Miss Moore had been using a pelican crossing against a red man signal, but Henry was going so fast he was unable to stop in time and avoid hitting her.

"He made no attempt to stop at the scene, leaving Miss Moore to die in the road, and hid out at an associate's address.

“Fortunately, our enquiries quickly established he was driving the Mercedes that night and we were able to charge him and bring him before the courts to face justice.

“The Judge commented that Henry's conduct was the senseless actions of a driver who ignored the law.

"Nothing will bring Miss Moore back for her friends and family, but I hope the fact Henry is now in prison brings a little comfort."

Henry left behind his number plate, which detached upon impact.

The Mercedes was found later that morning, abandoned in Bourke close, around two miles away.

After 11 days, officers found Henry at an associate’s address and he was arrested.

The collision was reconstructed by investigating officers who found that Henry had 'chased an amber light' at the junction immediately before the collision so he didn't have to stop.

He had accelerated to between 51mph and 61mph in a 30mph limit to beat the lights.

Henry will serve three years’ imprisonment and is disqualified from driving for five and a half years.