Firefighters are reminding people about the importance of having working smoke alarms after a blaze broke out at a house in Tooting.

The London Fire Brigade were called at 1.27am on March 5 to Little Dimocks.

Once there they realised the home didn't have any smoke alarms and neighbours were only alerted to the fire when because they heard crackling noises.

Watch Manager Kirk Williams, who was at the scene, said: "Thankfully, the house was empty at the time of the fire.

"This incident shows just how important it is to have working smoke alarms fitted on every level of your home.

“Smoke alarms give the earliest possible warning when a fire starts and we would urge everyone to make sure they have one fitted in every room where a fire can start except kitchens or bathrooms where heat alarms are more appropriate.”

Most of the ground floor of the terraced house was damaged by fire.

Four people self evacuated from neighbouring properties and there were no reports of any injuries.

The fire is believed to have been caused by resistive heating within an extension lead.