Sprinklers saved a high street shop in Tooting after a fire broke out in a bin in the store’s loading bay.

The Mitcham Road blaze was initially discovered by a member of staff before the fire detection system activated shortly after.

Approximately 70 customers and 36 members of staff left the building before the London Fire Brigade arrived. There were no reports of any injuries.

The sprinkler system contained the fire to a recycling bin and the sprinkler head directly above the bin extinguished it.

An LFB spokeswoman said: “This incident highlights the clear benefits of sprinklers to businesses and we would urge all companies and business owners to install them.

“In this case the sprinklers successfully contained and extinguished the fire.

“As well as limiting fire damage and being potentially life saving devices, sprinklers and other fire suppression systems help with business continuity by minimising disruption and allowing businesses to get back to normal as soon as possible.”

The fire is believed to be accidental and due to smoking materials which had been swept up and disposed of.

The Brigade was called at 11.20am on April 14 and the incident was over at 12.01pm. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Tooting, Wimbledon, Wandsworth and Clapham fire stations attended the scene.