A college student was stabbed to death with a 12inch hunting knife for "bravely" standing up for his friend, a court has heard.

Malcolm Mide-Madariola, 17, was knifed in the heart outside Clapham South Tube station at about 4.30pm on November 2 last year.

A 17-year-old boy and Sydenham man Treynae Campbell, 19, are on trial at the Old Bailey accused of his murder.

Prosecutor Zoe Johnson QC said Malcolm was the "innocent victim" of a dispute at college involving a friend of his and the younger defendant.

When violence was threatened, "Malcolm bravely sought to stand up to (the youth), for which he paid with his life", Ms Johnson said.

Jurors were told that the killing came two days after an incident at the sixth form college where Malcolm was a student.

On October 31, there had allegedly been "unfriendly eye contact" and "an exchange of words" between Malcolm's friend and the 17-year-old defendant after they passed in the corridor.

Ms Johnson said: "Whatever happened that day appears to be the reason for the confrontation and murder of Malcolm two days later."

On November 2, the youth allegedly looked for Malcolm's friend, saying he had threatened him with a knife.

A few hours later, the defendants allegedly picked an argument with the victim's group outside college, "secure in the knowledge that Campbell was carrying a huge hunting knife", the prosecutor said.

Ms Johnson told jurors: "It mattered not to the defendants that they were outnumbered because they were carrying a ferocious weapon. In other words, the defendants had no fear."

As he stood face to face with Malcolm's 17-year-old friend outside the Tube entrance, the younger defendant allegedly asked: "Why were you looking at me? Who do you think I am?"

When the youth gestured that he was carrying a blade, Malcolm said "Who you backing a knife from?", jurors were told.

Campbell then produced the hunting knife in its sheath and passed it to his co-accused, it was claimed.

Malcolm allegedly responded: "Who you gonna stab? You're not going to do nothing."

Jurors were told the youth said: "I'll do you right now."

Malcolm allegedly replied: "Go on, do your ting."

As they grappled, the youth drew a long curved blade around 12in (30cm) long with holes along it, the court heard.

The victim was stabbed three times, including once in the heart.

As he lay dying, the defendants allegedly made off and threw the knife in a nearby bin.

CCTV footage does not show the stabbing itself but did capture the youth carrying a knife, jurors heard.

Campbell denies murder but admits possessing a knife, while the youth, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, has pleaded not guilty to both charges.