A man who went on a dangerous and chaotic rampage through Battersea while wielding a knife has been jailed.

Ibrahim Ajbeer, 30, from Preston, was sentenced to six years and ten months in prison at Kingston Crown court on Monday, July 19.

He was found guilty of one count of attempted grievous bodily harm on Thursday, May 20. He also pleaded guilty to six counts of making threats with a bladed article in a public place, criminal damage, burglary and theft at the same court on Wednesday, April 21.

Ajbeer's terrifying episode started around 9.47pm on October 11 last year, when he entered a shop on Battersea Park Road, seized a knife from behind the counter and threatened staff members with it before being chased out.

That was just the beginning of what police described as a "chaotic rampage" through the area, however.


Next, the Preston man targeted a supermarket where, knife in hand, he stole a bottle of vodka before moving on.

A Met Police statement described what happened next.

"Once outside, he approached a woman and ran after her. He grabbed hold of her, pulled clothing from her and held a knife over her as she lay on the ground before he was chased away by members of the public.

"His rampage continued on to Falcon Road, SW11 where he stabbed at the window of a car, causing it to shatter, before threatening two women outside a pub on Falcon Road, pinning one to the floor.

"The events culminated when he attempted to stab a woman and threatened another before several members of the public bravely intervened and detained him. Officers arrived on scene and arrested Ajbeer."

DC Emily Dawson, investigating officer, said it took "extreme bravery" to confront and stop Ajbeer before he could do any more harm.

"This was a string of violent, unprovoked attacks in which Ajbeer inflicted fear and intimidation on those in the local community. He went out on the streets looking to cause harm to the public and I thank the members of the public who intervened and restrained Ajbeer.

"The consequences of his actions could have been far worse and it took extreme bravery to confront him.

"Ajbeer will now spend a considerable amount of time in prison. I am certain this has made our streets a safer place and hope it will bring some closure and justice to the victims who suffered terrifying ordeals," she said.