A man was rescued from a flat in Lambeth after cooking that was left unattended caught fire.

A small part of the kitchen of the four-roomed flat in Whitgift Street was damaged.

One man left the flat in the first floor of the residential block before fire crews arrived.

Firefighters rescued another man who was treated on scene by ambulance crews after suffering from smoke inhalation.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by cooking left unattended.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill - if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.

“If you're feeling very tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that might make you drowsy, it's safer not to risk it.”

The Brigade was called at 4.19pm and the fire was under control by 5.10pm.

Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Lambeth and Dowgate Fire Stations attended the scene.

London Fire Brigade has issued cooking safety advice:

- Don't leave cooking unattended on the hob or grill

Be fabric aware – loose clothing can easily catch fire, so take care not to lean over a hot hob, and always keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

- Avoid keeping items such as toasters under cupboards or in contact with combustibles such as tea towels or kitchen roll to prevent heat build up (and possibly fire).

- Always keep an eye on children and pets in the kitchen: don't leave them unsupervised; put matches away; and keep saucepan handles out of reach.