A woman has said calling 999 "saved my life" after her physically and psychologically abuser was jailed for 16 years.

Dean Martin Kelly, 39, of South London, was sentenced at Kingston Crown Court on February 3 after previously being found guilty at the same court on November 9, 2022, following a 12-day trial.

The court heard how Kelly subjected his victim to physical and emotional abuse before she reported the offences in April 2022.

On April 30 at 8.49pm, police received a 999 call from the victim who whispered “police, police, please, please” before she abandoned the call.

Officers ascertained her location and attended an address where she told officers how Kelly had attacked her physically and sexually.

She said the abuse had worsened recently and she was “terrified” of going to the police because of the threats he had made to kill her if she spoke with them.

Kelly sexually abused, beat, and ritualistically humiliated her over an extended period of time.

She had extensive bruising covering her entire body - 100 separate evidential photos were taken to record the abuse.

Kelly would routinely spit at her, rub food in her hair which she had cooked for him and also spit in her food and the children’s food.

He would beat her with his fists as well as use weapons, such as a belt and wire from a set of headphones.

The victim said: “The evening I called 999 undoubtedly saved my life.

"I knew this man was dangerous and deadly serious about ending my life."

She added: "I am so grateful to all the efforts made by the Met police, they have listened, understood, stood by me and supported me through this horrendous ordeal when I doubted I would ever get out."

She urged all victims of sexual violence to call the police or talk to someone.

"Please don't suffer in silence.

“There is so much help and support out there and action will be taken against your abuser.

“There is a way out and you don't have to suffer alone. Reaching out is the only way out. It's time to reclaim back your life. You owe it to yourself."

Det Insp Simon Sherlock, from South West Command’s public protection unit, said: "Kelly took complete control of his victim's life and rarely let her out.

"His behaviour was completely irredeemable and will not be tolerated."

He commended the victim’s courage to come forward and encouraged anyone in the same situation to seek help.

He said officers safeguarded, supported her and built a relationship with her to ensure the strongest possible evidence was presented to the court.

Kelly was convicted of grievous bodily harm, actual bodily harm, criminal damage, threats to kill, assault by penetration, sexual assault and controlling and coercive behaviour.

He was also issued with an extended licence for four years and imposed with an indefinite notification requirement.

Victims and those worried about someone else should call police or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.