A man has pleaded guilty to assaulting a man who was later found dead in Fulham.

Gary Curran, of no fixed abode appeared at the Old Bailey on Friday (March 3) and pleaded guilty to section 20 GBH.

He will be sentenced at the same court on Monday, March 6.

The 53-year-old was arrested after the body of Stephen Wallis, 50, was found at his flat in Barclay Close, SW6 on February 15, 2022.

On February 10, Stephen had confided to a medical professional during a regular home visit that a friend – later established to be Curran - had assaulted him following an argument at his flat on the night of February 9 over drugs.

Stephen attended hospital on February 11 where he received treatment, but he refused to tell staff who was responsible.

Police were informed and attempted to contact Stephen without success and was last seen entering his flat on February 13.

On February 14 the medical professional attended Stephen’s home but there was no response.

After attending again the next day, and also failing to make contact with Stephen on his phone, police were called to attend the address.

Police forced entry and Stephen was found dead inside the address.

Due to the previous allegation that Stephen had been assaulted and the fact that blood was found inside the flat, Curran was arrested and charged with murder.

However, following further investigation and pathology results, no direct link could be established between the assault and Stephen’s death.

The charge was subsequently amended to GBH.

Detective Chief Inspector Katherine Goodwin from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command said: “Gary Curran carried out a violent assault that caused serious harm to a vulnerable man in his own home.

“While no link between the assault and Stephen’s death could be scientifically established, it is clear from speaking to those who came into contact with him in the days between the attack and his death that he was in pain and traumatised by the incident.

“I hope the fact that Curran has been jailed for this attack will give some degree of closure to Stephen’s family and friends.”